Monday, 22 February 2016

The consequences of anorexia

Heart problems
As mentioned in my previous post, my GP referred me for an emergency appointment at an eating disorders clinic. This was, I assume, partially due to the fact that my BMI was very low (under 16), but more importantly, that the ECG of my heart showed abnormal activity. I also have 'heart murmur', which is common when the heart has to work extra hard to pump blood around the body. My heart has to work harder, as it is not getting enough nutrients. It's like walking up the stairs after 10 hours of not eating; you just have less energy and so have to work harder. I especially feel this at night when I'm lying in my bed - feeling my heart really working hard to pump blood around my body can keep me awake for hours, as I worry that it might suddenly give up.

Dr Kuna has now referred me to have an echocardiogram (or just 'echo) to find out more about the issues with my heart. This is particularly important for my surgery, as the anaesthetist will not allow the surgery to go ahead before they know it is safe. There is a long wait to have an echo, and I still have not received an appointment, despite being referred for a 'priority appointment' on the 25th January. I am meant to have my surgery on the 26th February, but more about this later.

Bone problems
I had a bone scan on the 3rd February, where the doctor conducting the scan printed the results, and asked me to give them to my GP. He put the papers in an envelope, but he didn't seal it, and obviously I couldn't help myself but have a look. It said quite clearly that I had osteoporosis in my spine, and osteopenia (less severe form of osteoporosis) in my hips. My bones were comparable to those of my granny. This was tough to read. I have an appointment with my GP on the 3rd March to discuss the results and, I assume, to get some medication for it.

Other consequences
The other not-very-nice side effects that I am experiencing as a result of anorexia include Lanugo (small hairs growing on my back - this happens as your body tries to keep itself 'warm'). I'm freeeezing all the time, and often wear several layers of clothing to keep even remotely warm.

I also have very dry nails and hair - my hair and nails have otherwise always been very nice and healthy, so it's tough to see my hair falling out and feeling dry, as well as dealing with my breaking nails.

It's probably no surprise that I often feel weak and tired, as I don't consume enough energy to feel properly 'alive'. At the same time, I also can't fall asleep at night, as I lie awake and worry about where my anorexia is going. As I gain more and more control over my eating, I feel like I'm losing control to the anorexia, and I am desperate to revert this. I have my dream job waiting for me in September, and I don't want to jeopardise it.

No comments:

Post a Comment